What we do differently
Wolveridge Architects is a medium sized architectural studio that is internationally recognised for its highly considered projects and how they integrate with their environments. We are interested in exploring ideas surrounding context and how it can inform the design response.
The practice was established in Melbourne in 2000 by its principal architect and director, Jeremy Wolveridge, following his extended periods of travel and working for some years as an architect with established firms in London and Port Douglas.
The practice headquarters are located within Building No.2 in Collingwood, Melbourne’s inner city post-industrial precinct. Wolveridge Architects retains a regional presence in Port Douglas, far north Queensland and are registered to practice also in Tasmania and Western Australia.
The work of the practice is characterised by the following key principles:
• To assist the Client in establishing a budget, not just for the building works, but the total project cost
• A commitment to understanding the Client’s requirements for a project and, where it is not clear, to carry out a creative and thorough briefing process
• In depth investigation of the context of the site and local precinct, its physical, cultural, historical and social attributes
• Responding to the context of the site in a dynamic manner that is both relevant and appropriate
• Creating a built form that is sophisticated and enriches the lives of its occupants
• Remain conscious of design principles which include consideration of the material palette, use of natural and artificial light and the manner in which a building’s elements are connected
• Incorporate passive environmentally sustainable design principles
• Apply a deep understanding of the practical application and technical expertise which has evolved over numerous collective years of experience in fields that include construction, project management, civil construction and engineering disciplines in addition to the traditional skills of the architect which contribute to well resolved and buildable projects
Since commencing practice, Wolveridge Architects has undertaken over two hundred commissions for a broad range of clients and project types.
The collective construction value of projects completed on site exceeds $200m AUD.
Based on the experience of the practice and projects completed, our core expertise in project types includes:
• Highly considered individual residential projects – alterations and new dwellings
• Boutique scale multi-residential and mixed-use projects
• Specialist hospitality projects including a craft brewery
• Adaptive re-use and heritage projects – both commercial and residential
Wolveridge architects have been recognised for their contribution to the built environment with over 30 institute and industry awards including The Premier Award for the best overall project amongst 500 entries for the Australian Interior Design Awards in 2011, for the Hill Plains House.
The work of the practice has been featured in over one hundred publications across a range of highly regarded design books and glossy magazines, spanning Australia, Europe, the Americas and Asia.
Expertise & professional services
Flexibility remains a key to the success of our practice. With the end result in mind, Wolveridge Architects work in with the requirements of the Client group to ensure the necessary services are tailored and provided to each project. This might include the simple preparation of a concept, a full commission or somewhere in between.
Our team comprises a broad and diverse group of design professionals who, along with our Clients, are supported by a dedicated administration and office management team who keep the architects focussed on architecture!
01 / Design Services - A hands on approachA range of professional services we provide are outlined below:
• Architecture – new build/alterations & additions/adaptive reuse projects
• Masterplanning – large scale development projects and extensive rural properties
• Interior design and fitout design
• Preparation of client furniture and styling packages
• Consultation and contribution to brand messaging
• Custom furniture design and product design
02 / Procurement Services - Wearing the hard hatWe have played a role in procuring an extensive number of complex projects often on challenging sites. Over the years we have worked alongside some of the most inspiring and other times difficult contractors. As such we have a terrific collective experience and capability in understanding the building sequence and what to look for next.
Staying a step ahead……
• Tender services analysis and recommendation
• Contract administration services
• Construction services assistance
• Project management services
• Construction management services
03 / Project Delivery - End to end or anywhere in betweenWolveridge Architects have developed an industry reputation for a client focused design service that is based on listening, creative aptitude and a highly considered technical response. Separate to the physical end product, we acknowledge the process to reach that point must be centred around a shared goal throughout the project team. We also acknowledge our role in the project team and more often than not, in our commissions, that the architect is responsible for driving the aspirations of the client, the lead consultant.
In his capacity as Director, and in consideration of the firm’s extensive network of high net worth clients, Jerry Wolveridge and the senior team have benefitted from unique hands-on experience in dealing with some of Australia’s leading CEOs in realizing their private projects. The collective time spent in dealing with such clients on a one on one basis has contributed to the ethos of personal service that the practice is built around, regardless of the scale of the project, whether a small fitout, renovation of a new home.
At a personal level, the following points are key factors contributing to the manner in which Wolveridge architects delivers their projects:
• Maintaining a friendly and reassuring environment for the client and project team throughout the process
• Remaining flexible, acknowledging all projects and clients are different, therefore requiring bespoke solutions that require individual organizational solutions in each case
• Being available, prompt and courteous
• We strive to affirm our capability to deliver complex projects in efficient time frames and reasonable budgets
• Hands on approach. Wolveridge Architects maintain a pragmatic approach to running our projects. Over the years we have designed numerous projects for builders and subcontractors, which we think is a measure of our practicality and understanding of how projects are constructed
Budget issues, don’t think you can afford an architect? We deal with these questions commonly. Talk to us about a customised design service to suit your resources.
Meet the team
A bit about us
A look into the people and studio of Wolveridge Architects
The practice is enriched by the employment of architects from diverse cultural backgrounds who share a broad educational and practical experience. We think this contributes to the quality of our design projects and, over the years has informed and contributed to the streamlining of processes via the sharing of ideas.
Wolveridge Architects is a medium scale design practice of 10, comprising of 9 design professionals and administration support.
We are pleased to recognise that 50% of our team are women who all play a key role within the practice.
The company structure is simple. The Director, Jerry Wolveridge and Associate Will Smart are responsible for dealing with new work enquiries, leading the design process, establishing project teams and remaining a constant and leading role in all stages of the project and, importantly, remaining in close contact with the Client.
Projects are led by a further team of 3 highly capable and experienced project architects.
The office members have a reputation for being effective team players.
If you are interested in joining the practice, candidates are required to demonstrate a reasonable background in the use of ArchiCAD. Please submit low res examples of your portfolio and work history by email to the practice manager.
What our clients say
Working within the tight constraints of both limited space and a heritage protected house, Jerry delivered a seamless melding of both old and new that magically accentuates the best of both. The overall design is masterful. The in situ concrete table is, quite simply, incredible and a genius response to our very first discussion. The small details - a floating concrete step; an exposed, internal section of nineteenth century brickwork (to name but two of many) are testament to the considered and inspired thinking.
The project was managed brilliantly by Brett and the rest of the team and executed with minimal fuss and to the highest standards. Every question and concern was responded to thoughtfully and with an eye on the budget. The result is stunning. it is a beautiful space to live in. It is a beautiful home.
Richard Molloy Wellington Wall 2019
During the planning stages, Jerry and Will provided us with a high degree of creative ideas and solutions around the space that we had to work with. Our project was located within an iconic Heritage listed building and we were confronted with a larger than normal amount of EHP challenges. The Wolveridge team navigated their way through these challenges with utmost professionalism and we were extremely pleased with the final product. We would have no hesitation in recommending Wolveridge.
Tony Fyfe, CEO & Co Founder Hemingway’s Brewery Hemingway's Brewery 2018
People often ask us if we could alter anything about the house, what we would alter. Our answer is nothing!
All in all, our house is simply stunning and not only meets but overwhelmingly exceeds our initial vision and design brief. We feel extremely proud of our house and absolutely love the home we have created." Vicki and Steve Tranquility Beach House 2015